10 Ways to Keep your Pet Safe
Our pets are like parts of our family. No matter what’s going on in our lives, they’re always affectionate and happy to see us. Since they can’t tell us what they need, it’s our job to ensure they have long, happy lives by taking the best possible care of them. These ten steps are a great start:
10. Choose nutritious food and measure it carefully to avoid overfeeding.
9. Maintain a consistent exercise schedule. Pet obesity can cause serious health problems and shorten their life spans.
8. Don’t feed your pet “people food” that could make him sick.
7. See your veterinarian regularly for preventive care, including dental work and physical exams. This way you can catch a problem before it turns into something serious.
6. Get all required vaccinations to prevent serious diseases (cat vaccinations are different from dog vaccinations).
5. Engage with your pet for mental stimulation. Play with toys and get outside whenever you can.
4. Keep your home safe. Keep toxic cleaners and cables out of reach, avoid plants that are poisonous to cats, and gate off the stairs if your pet’s still young.
3. Supervise your pet outdoors. He could get loose of your yard, get into pesticides in the garden, or catch something from a stray animal.
2. Watch for signs of illness. Look for changes in appetite, attitude, and energy.
1. Spay and neuter your pet. Spaying removes the ovaries and uterus, and neutering removes the testicles. These procedures eliminate the desire to wander in search of a partner and also prevent certain diseases.